Wednesday, October 8, 2014

If I Stay




Summary

When school gets canceled one morning, Mia and her family decide to go on a drive. She’s secretly enjoying being with her family, until an old truck spins and hits them changing Mia's life forever. Now she’s stuck with the question should she stay or should she go. Through the book she's narrating from her spirit while she watches the medical team, boyfriend, friends and family care for her. Woven in with that, she has memories of her life before the accident; including her love for classical music, her relationship with her boyfriend, and her love for her parents and brother.
What makes it a love story
Mia's love for her boyfriend, Adam, plays a big part in this story. He is one of the main reasons she’s still even thinking about waking pack up from her coma. They have a strong relationship and doesn't want to leave him alone. Another reason is her love for the cello. She has been playing it since she was four and has only gotten better through her years of playing it. She wants to go to Julliard and keep going with it and keep getting better, but she won’t be able to do that if she doesn't let herself wake up.
What makes it tragic
In the beginning of the book, she gets into a car crash and she is greatly injured. She has to decide whether she wants to let herself give up, or stay. This is a hard question for her to answer because she doesn't want to live with the fact that her parents and brother are dead, but at the same time she wants to stay with her best friend Kim, her boyfriend Adam, and wants to go to Julliard to continue her cello career. While this is happening she has her spirit watching after her. So, she notices how her family, friends, and boyfriend react to the situation.
Review
 I liked this book a lot. It was really heart felt and heart breaking at the same time. I can’t wait to watch the movie to see what’s different and the same. The details were so precise that i could perfectly picture everything that was going on and what was happening. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to cry during a book. It has a love story in it for the lovers out there; it has tragic events for the tragedy lovers out there and a little bit of mystery for the mystery lovers out there. The love story is about how her friends, family, and boyfriend care for her while she’s in a coma on the hospital bed. The tragic part is when she got hit by the car and not knowing if she’s going to wake up or not. The mystery part kind of goes along with the tragic aspect of the story because you don't know whether Mia is going to give up on herself or wake up again. 

(Word count: 510)

5 comments:

  1. This was truly a very inspiring, deep, and meaningful blog post that was very strongly composed. I have read this book and seen the movie before and I couldn't have described this novel any better than you just did. My favorite part about this post is the way you describe the determination of Mia to stay strong and keep going instead of give up in her coma. I can also relate to this novel / movie personally in the music aspect. My connection is that despite all of life's troubles and issues that we have to deal with, music is a whole new world for me, and it is my escape from all of life's troubles. If I am interpreting it correctly, I have the same love for music as Mia and Adam. This post was very strong and I really enjoyed reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a great job of describing and providing insight into this novel through this blog. After reading your blog, i now want to read the book AND watch the movie. While reading your review it reminded me of the movie The Vow. Your blog reminded me of The Vow because there is a car crash that turns the world around for the two main characters. However, just like the details you provide in your blog, the characters never give up and work through the pain. I really enjoyed your review and hope to read this book soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book seems very emotional. It would be so hard watching someone suffer, but wanting them to live at the same time. I know what it is like to lose a loved one and it is hard. It would be hard to be in Adam's position because he wants his girlfriend to live but hates watching her go through suffering. Mia would also be in a tough position because she's struggling for survival so she doesn't leave her boyfriend. I definitely want to read this and watch the movie as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first thing I noticed while reading your review was the interesting perspective that the story is told in. I am a hopeless romantic and am so excited to read the book and watch the movie. Putting myself into Mia's shoes I can understand her internal conflict, but I think I would ultimately choose to stay, and I hope she does to. This tragic, mysterious, love story is just my type of read. Your review left me wondering and this is definitely at the top of my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific job describing your thought and insight to this novel. You did a very nice job adding in needed details and making me want to read this book. This is a very well written review that definitely left readers scratching their heads. Good job describing the characters and making the reader feel their relationship. It created a mysterious environment for those who love these types of books.

    ReplyDelete